Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Art of a Good Cover Up

Well, would you believe I've been applying for jobs wrong for like... a decade? I think, in all honesty, working in retail/ bar work/ customer service/ general dog's body/treated like crap you don't need to focus on CV - you just note that you've done this before, smile and then you get the job. But with real jobs, officey - paid properly - lots of competition - type - jobs this kind of crap is really important.

Well holy mother of Mike... I had no idea an application letter should be that long, I would never have thought to put in separate headings and in general I don't really like spouting about what I'm good at (unless its drinking or quoting movies, I take pride in my ability in each - note all previous blogs) so the whole thing is uncomfortable...

Anywhoodle I don't suppose this makes for interesting reading but it does clear up the reason I can NEVER get interviews except the one time I had a connection. It also helps that I think I'm ok in person, I mean there's always the chance I'll fuck it up on the day or, of course someone is simply a better candidate but I do think I have some chance if I can just get in the door. Prior to this I could never get in the door- now I need to see if this is going to work.

I hate doing cover letters and CVs, selling yourself and it takes aaaggggeeesss. But I'm still on a couch. I love the boys, really like living with them, but I would like to be able to contribute and also have my own room (more the contributing funnily enough, I feel so guilty and I hate that. I love the couch though, super comfy and I get up early cos there's all busy-ness around me and sun glaring through the blinds, without that I can't help but sleep in). So roll on the job applications and hopefully some interviews.

So hopefully a new page has been turned in the life of reflections and to celebrate I'm going to have a cider and watch a film!

No comments:

Post a Comment